Wow, what a year 2016 turned out to be! The ASP Team hosted four ASPire Training Camps throughout the year leading up to the nation's top junior and international events. While we still have just under a month left in 2016, we wanted to take the time to reflect on what a great year it has been and what is in store for 2017.
An Elite Group of Athletes
The group of players we had the pleasure of working with this year brought a wealth of experience and success. As of this writing, the players have achieved the following:
- 3 players earned their first ATP points this year
- ITF Boys Group combined for a climb of 500+ spots
- ITF Girls Group combined for a climb of 350+ spots
- USTA Rankings (year highs) included 5 top 10 players, 8 top 25 players, and 6 top 50 players.
- USTA Clay Court Championships (Gold Ball in singles and doubles)
- 5 National Selection Champions
- 3 National Regional Champions
- 6 College Scholarship commitments to Top 50 DI collegiate tennis programs
ASPire Training for the Total Athlete
The ASP philosophy is to train the total athlete, which means he/she must gain access to elite training on the court, in the gym, and in between the ears. To accomplish this, we developed a curriculum that an aspiring player can relate to and actually incorporate into his/her daily regimen. Here are just a few of the topics we addressed with the players in each performance domain:
- Practice bookends: Proper training warm-ups and cool-downs
- Purposeful practice sessions (setting and achieving daily goals)
- Situational sets/point play, appropriate strategies
- Doing the work in between points (mental focus cues)
On- and off-court Conditioning
- Footwork and agility training while on the road
- Fitness assessments, identifying strengths and gaps
- Developing a deeper understanding of a personal conditioning program
- Understanding recovery and periodization for maximum performance
- Professionalism in every performance domain (sacrifice, setting goals, ownership)
- Filling in mental performance gaps (motivation, resiliency, pressure, etc) and how to bring up your bottom end
- Believe. Commit. Execute. The fundamentals of mental performance.
- Mental performance assessments, building a plan to improve your mindset
Looking Forward to 2017
We are in the midst of developing our 2017 training schedule and curriculum, which will feature additional training opportunities and specialized topics for elite athletes. Due to demand, we will be limiting our camps to invite-only, and selection will be based on ranking requirements. If you would like to be considered for these training camps, please email Dr. Brandyn Fisher at email@example.com.
There are still a few weeks left in 2016, so sprint to the line and finish strong!